Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Screamy memey!

Several weeks ago I was tagged by Rob with this meme. I'd been holding onto it in order to roll it out and spring it on y'all just as I'm blowing town. A little bon voyage assignment for you to be working on while I'm somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.

1. Last movie you saw in a theater?
I’m not a big movie-goer; I prefer to lounge at home with a DVD. Last theater-attended film was a forgettable low-budget flick filmed in Anzio; we were invited to the premier, so that was pretty cool.

2. What book are you [re]reading?
I just finished re-reading Dances With Luigi by Paul Paolicelli. It’s a narrative of an Italian-American’s quest to understand his heritage, his family, and himself. It resonates just a tad with me.

3. Favorite board game?
Scrabble. Or Clue. Depends on my mood.

4. Favorite magazine?
To be honest I don’t read many of them anymore. Time ranks high. I still like National Geographic Traveler when I can find one. In Italy, I sometimes read Panorama or Cose di Casa. Most magazines here are fashion-glitz or celebrity trash. Like I care.

5. Favorite smells?
Smells are so hard to describe in quantitative terms but the extremely unique aroma of pinon wood smoke or sagebrush after a rain both evokes a feeling of calm and “home”. Fresh-baked bread takes me straight to my grandmother’s kitchen; she baked bread three times a week.

6. Favorite sounds?
The distinctive blast of propane into the envelope of a hot-air balloon, another very unique thing that is commonplace in New Mexico. That sound was my morning wake-up call nearly every Saturday and Sunday morning for years.

7. Worst feeling in the world?
Being forsaken. I also happen to think that 'forsaken' is the saddest word in the English language.
8. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up?
About how good that morning cappuccino is going to taste.

9. Favorite fast food place?
Blake’s LottaBurger. Green chile cheeseburger. Oh yeah.

10. Future child’s name?
Gotta say that after 21 years of marriage, ain’t happenin’. But future cats are certainly in the future and I think Duke Ellington may be a good name. Or maybe Leyla if it's a girl.

11. Finish this statement. “If I had lots of money I’d….?
Give to my favorite charities, then buy a small place here and send airline tickets to my family and friends to come visit.

12. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?
Not since I was about 13. I had an enormous and unusual stuffed animal collection thanks to two uncles who spoiled us.

13. Storms - cool or scary?
Both at the same time. I love the sound of thunder reverberating up and down a desert canyon but don’t want to be out there with that lightening!

14. Favorite drink?
Water. Seriously. Close second is cappuccino.

15. Finish this statement, “If I had the time I would….”?
Write that book and screenplay that have been rattling around in my head.

16. Do you eat the stems on broccoli?
Yes.

17. If you could dye your hair any color, what would be your choice?
I’m already dyeing it my natural color, bruno.

18. Name all the different cities/towns you’ve lived in?
Bellevue; Columbus; Lakewood; Albuquerque; Corrales; Anzio; Ascoli Piceno.

19. Favorite sports to watch?
Football (Americano, not European). Harness-racing, but only live…it’s not as exciting on TV.

20. One nice thing about the person who sent this to you?
I just ‘met’ Rob, but he must be a nice guy if he’s been reading my blog, don’t you think? ;)

21. What’s under your bed?
Definitely dust. It accumulates way too fast in Italy. A couple of pairs of shoes, out of season bed coverings (in a zipped-up plastic bag to keep out all that dust).

22. Would you like to be born as yourself again?
I can only and always be myself.

23. Morning person, or night owl?
I guess morning person. Just not too early in the morning. But I’m no longer a night owl, that’s for sure.

24. Over easy, or sunny side up?
Over medium, actually. Preferably smothered with green chile sauce.

25. Favorite place to relax?
Anywhere in the mountains puts me at peace. I’ve also found it relaxing to meander the narrow, medieval streets during riposo too, when the place is pretty silent.

26. Favorite pie?
Elderberry. Few people make elderberry pie anymore. If that’s not available, I’ll generally choose peach.

27. Favorite ice cream flavor?
Ice cream? Ice cream? Only gelato for me! I like any combination that starts with Bacio (chocolate-hazelnut). Add to that coconut, or stracciatella, or frutti di bosco, or…ah heck, I just like gelato.

28. Of all the people you tagged this to, who’s most likely to respond first?
Boh. Actually I’m going to open it up wide for everyone to play along rather than tag anyone specifically. Who will join the fun?.

4 comments:

erin said...

Love the Duke Ellington idea!

Question 14b: Do you like acqua gassata or naturale?

S.R. Piccoli said...

nice, lovely meming ... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Valerie, I LOVED *Dances with Luigi*, as well as his second book *Under the Southern Sun*. You can probably pick it up while you're home. Have a great trip!!!

Anonymous said...

Great list and meme! I decided to give it a try on my blog also. Good to know there are other water lovers out there :)