Sunday, March 18, 2012

Time Flies

That old song by the Steve Miller Band with the line, "Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the future" has been rolling around my brain lately.  Time really has slipped away from me the past couple of months. 

You'd think living in a village would free up more time.  I mean, let's face it, you can walk the length and breadth of it in fifteen minutes, and all told there's not a whole heckuva lot to do as far as entertainment options to distract you.  But chats on the street and insistences of un caffe' can turn a quick trip to the fruttivendolo into an hour-long diversion. 

I've been busy with lots of projects, which leaves my eyes burning from the computer screen, so I've neglected some emails and blogging in an attempt to stay caught up with work.  In short, it's been all work and little play lately.

But, a few weeks back we did have a fun day of filming (again!) when a RAI television crew came to interview us.  I met the giornalista when she came to town to cover the big festa di Sant'Antonio.  She thought our tale of moving from America to small-town southern Italy was interesting and asked if we'd mind being interviewed for the regional weekend news segment.  She and a camera man came and spent about five hours with us and talking to friends in the piazza and the local agriturismo. 



It aired on Saturday, with the whole village tuned in to see it.  They were happy with the outcome and so were we.  It turned out quite nice, and gives a glimpse of our little village to others, through the eyes of the Americans.  Kinda cool!

It was a lot harder than the last filming, despite it being much shorter - it was all done in Italian!  But we muddled through without embarrassing ourselves (linguistically speaking) too terribly.

Give it a look!
RAI Regionale Basilicata

7 comments:

LindyLouMac said...

Good to hear you are enjoying living life's great adventure and congratulations on your latest TV appearance.

maryhitt said...

Glad that you're back. I have missed you! Congatulations on the new video. Mary in Pittsburgh

Janine said...

Valerie, I'm new to your blog and just wanted to say I loved the new RAI report and that your Italian sounded wonderful!! I absolutely get your reasons for the move. I'm working my way towards the same thing. I'm Italo-Australiana with Sicilian origins but left my heart in Umbria years ago. I go back to visit it as often as I can... Complimenti ancora e un grande in bocca al lupo!! Janine

janie said...

I LOVED it! Your Italian is amazing-although I understood everything, I would be hard pressed to keep up a conversation as you did. Brava!

marybeth said...

Ciao da Lecce!
complimenti, cara, parli bene l'italiano! It's great to see things going so well for you! I'm in Puglia this week, and will be in Matera for two days next week, so I'll finally see a bit of Basilicata. Then it's back to Zagarolo until June. Wish I had more time so I could visit you in Trivigno.
Un abbraccione,
Marybeth

Alexandra said...

Brava, Valerie!

Alexandra said...

Brava, Valerie!