Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Yummy Treat for World Nutella Day

I know; my entry is early.  But I just couldn't wait!  It's a momentous occasion, an annual decadent event.  A chance to gorge on chocolate-hazelnut goodness for an entire day, and look through inspiring recipes and read emotional or funny tributes to the simple spread that brings smiles and soothes the soul.  As I've said before, it's the little things in life...


Anyway.  I'm posting early for a few reasons.  One, it's been cold here and there's not much else to do but sit inside and think about ways to stay warm.  Which starts with hot chocolate made with Nutella, which naturally turns thoughts to other ways to use the yummy stuff.  I kind of a have a Nutella dossier compiled now, with scribbles of possible combos and concoctions for future reference.

Second, as a contientious blogger I feel I should participate in good will efforts such as this, and so I offer a reminder to those of you who may have forgotten about World Nutella Day on February 5.  (Says she who forgot last year.)  Join up with Michelle of Bleeding Espresso and Sara of Ms. Adventures in Italy to participate.

Then there's the Mom factor.  My mother's birthday is February 6 and, being a good mother, she deserves the best darn Nutella-infused treat possible for her special day.  But I'm not there to make it so the chocolatey task falls to my sister.  Who is (she freely admits) the "non-cook" in the family.  She used to refer to the kitchen as "the room you walk through to get to the back door."  While she's come a long way in the cooking department, she still utterly refuses to bake.  Anything. 

So.  I devised a cake-like treat that even my sister can make easily, without fuss, and without turning on the oven.  And I'm getting the recipe to her well in advance so she can prepare herself.  I'm pretty sure that the first jar of Nutella is going to go down with a spoon before she starts the recipe.  In any case, I know that Mom will be happy with the results of our collaborative efforts, and I think you'll enjoy the orangey-chocolatey combo, too.  It was a bit hit with my taste-testers.



Orange-Nutella Tiramisu
1 container mascarpone cheese
2 4-oz. cups vanilla yogurt
2 TBSP sugar
zest of 1 orange
Blend everything together until smooth.

1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup rum
Combine and set aside.

3 to 4 oranges, peeled and sliced crosswise
1 cup Nutella, warmed to soften
Savoiardi (ladyfingers)


Assembly:

Soak the savoiardi in the orange juice/rum and layer in a pan.  Spread on half the mascarpone mixture to cover the cookies.  Arrange orange slices on top.  Drizzle generously with Nutella.  Repeat the layers.  Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.  Tiramisu is always tastier the day after it's made when the ladyfingers have softened to a cake-like texture and the flavors have melded together nicely.

Happy Nutella Day!

7 comments:

Yvonne said...

Now you've got my attention! What size (in grams) are the marscapone and yoghurt containers, please? I'll try this when I'm back in Australia. My wonderful 3 months in Venice have nearly ennded. Sob.

Yvonne

Valerie said...

Yvonne - the yogurt cups were 125 g. and the mascarpone 250 g. Your time went by waaay too fast! Get some Nutella; soothe the departure pain ;)

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Oh yes yes yes, Valerie. This looks *amazing*! Thanks so much for participating, and auguri to Mom!

Mama Jo said...

Yummmm! Thanks, Valerie! You definitely get the
'Top Chef' honors in our family..
Cara, are you reading this??? I have the oranges if you have the Nutella!

Geek girl said...

This sounds so good I may have to try a test run before Mom's birthday, you know to make sure it comes out okay ;)

Valerie said...

Michelle - my pleasure ;)

Cara - one my students said, "It tastes like a homemade Fiesta treat!" I didn't even realize I was imitating the Fiesta snacks you love so much!

Liz said...

Thanks for this recipe, can't wait to try it...it is so simple. Happy Nutella Day!!!