Friday, November 09, 2007

A Few of my Favorite Things

Sheps (otherwise known as sheep)


I don’t quite know why I'm so enamored of the animals, but I love the sight of sheep on the hillsides, especially when they are accompanied by their shepherds. The wooly things look cuddly when they’re young and just seem to lend a timeless aspect to the landscape. The sound of the bells tinkling as they roam and range provides a peculiar symphony in the otherwise hushed hills. The cheese made from their milk is pretty darn good, and their wool provides natural warmth, so I guess I am just a fan the creatures all the way around.

This little herd surrounded me as they munched their way through the Valle del Castelluccio. They completely ignored me as they tore and chew the grasses while moving along the valley. The dogs seemed way too friendly to be proper sheepdogs, as they came bounding up to me for some affection. The shepherd was a bit too modern for my taste, sitting in his truck up in the distance, then honking his horn as a signal to the dogs to round up the sheps and move them on their way.



5 comments:

erin said...

so cute.

the field behind is so colorful - very beautiful

Roam2Rome said...

Yes, what a pretty sight! I love the reds, blues and yellows in the field behind, and the gentle personality of the dogs and soothing nature of the sheep :) I can definitely see why you like them!

Valerie said...

Aren't they cute? The dog was so sweet, I wanted to take him home. The flowers are the famed wildflowers of Castelluccio, a major spring display of color. We were told that the blue flowers are the lentils blossoms! Castelluccio is famous for their tiny lentils.

Shirley said...

We are surrounded by sheep here, mainly ewes with their lambs, though the farmer tells us that there are another 1500 coming down from the mountains soon….eek!

Valerie said...

Hi Shirley! Mamma mia! That's a whole lot of sheps! How are you...settled in now?