Saturday, January 14, 2006

A Brief Interlude

The week started off promising enough. It was shaping up to be a pretty exciting and busy week, with work to do; Italian class starting again; physical therapy; a contest drawing to assist with...among other things. Yes, I was looking forward to many activities. And then it fell in the crapper when I came down with the nasty flu or cold thing -I'm never sure how to tell if it's a cold or a flu - that has been devastating New Mexico. Nary a citizen in the state hasn't been affected. Everyone has a sister/husband/child/self who has been afflicted with the virulent bug. I'm no exception; I'm one of the statistics.
Today's headline:

N.M. flu activity still ‘widespread’

"New Mexico is again one of seven states reporting widespread flu activity.

New Mexico remains on the list of the busiest states for the flu bug.
The Centers for Disease Control on Friday released the latest flu activity map. It shows seven states, including New Mexico, with “widespread” flu activity – the highest possible rating on the map. "

Great. I'm feeling, well, icky, but I won't bore (nor gross you out) with the details. Instead, I offer you this brief interlude in absence of an actual blog entry.

I entered two articles into an online contest on the Slow Travel website. One was selected as a winner and put into the prize drawing (yes, the prize drawing held today that I had looked forward to helping with.) In lieu of a blog post, I am giving you the links to my articles for your reading pleasure.

New Mexico's Indian Country (the winning entry)

Climbing the Family Tree in Basilicata's Hilltowns

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to make a hot toddy.

copyright 2006 Valerie Schneider

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too was a statistic in the flu outbreak...hope you feel better soon.